Howdy Folks. I recently went back home to YYC (Cowtown, Calgary, Alberta ..Canada) and decided that I would actually go out and do things. Growing up there the only thing I wanted to do was leave so as soon as I turned 19 I was out! From Ecuador to Montreal I went to random places and had a good time but there’s nothing like coming home to family and some good food. When I was younger the only thing to do was go to all ages and wait till stamped was around. If you were really bored we’d go to the Movie Dome and catch a 2-dollar movie or even just walk around 17th ave. But Calgary has completely changed. THERE ARE THINGS TO DO. (although I was a very busy child/teen)
I took my daughter to some cool places as well as check out some old spots. I had a really good time. I figured instead of telling you what I did day by day, it would cool to let people know Calgary isn’t boring anymore (but I’m not moving back anytime soon sorry)
1. FESTIVALS!!!! Maybe it’s the time of year I came, but I swear there was are tons of festivals going on. And according to my Instagram feed, you guys really do almost every weekend. I loved it! Although I wish I could have attended one of them I saw loads of photos and they looked great. Whether it was the picnic in the park hosted by YYC Food Trucks or the Lilac Festival they all looked fun and exciting.
2. STUDIO BELL. CALGARY!!!!! YOU HAVE STUDIO BELL!!!! Do you guys understand how cool that is!!!!! Maybe its cause I’m a music junky or just love life, but that place is amazing. 5 levels of Canadian music history. Why didn’t they teach that at school I would have received all A’s? Not only did I have a good time but so did Jhene. The kid’s area is perfect to let your child run free and explore different instruments and sounds.
3. THE CALGARY ZOO! Some of you might be reading this and saying “Cam the zoo isn’t that great”. TRUST ME DADDY (HA if u get it u get it) THE ZOO IS ON ONE!!!!! I haven’t been since I was a kid but the way they have developed it into more sections and building it up more and more is amazing. Spent almost the whole day there until Jhene decided to fall asleep. I guess you can get really sleepy after running and trying to pet butterflies
4. FOOD. Of course, there is nothing like mom's home cooked meal or in my case some Oxtail/Curry Goat meal from Joycee's, but Calgary has got some new gems. Although I hate the fact that 17th ave (RedMile) is now basically a food district (Rolls eyes), at least the food spots are good. For my birthday my Prima Cindy and her boyfriend took me to a cute little Taco spot called Native Tongues. It was extremely busy but amazing and super cheap. I will return and eat all the frijoles I want mmmm
5. EAST VILLAGE! If I ever moved back this is where I want, wait no, I NEED to live. As you enter downtown from the North you see a little “village” just outside the main downtown area. The layout of East Village is an amazing. Having walked around and checked out the area it is definitely the perfect place for someone looking for a way to be downtown but not have to be in the main area of traffic. You can easily walk or hop on the train for free anywhere in the downtown core. Not only is Downtown developing but so many new neighborhoods and new houses are being built and its way cheaper to live there than it is in Vancouver so enjoy that.
6. COMMUNITY. For me, I’ve always had some sort of a community around me but to be honest it was always the same folks that basically grew up together. With events like 10 @10 and other various dance events, the “urban” community has grown and has created and open the doors to so many other great events as well as meeting new people and artist. Recently I performed at People are pearls and even though I completely messed up my lyrics it was still one of my favorite performances to date. The vibes were amazing and I had so much fun.
So my Calgary friends next time I hear any of you complain I will be sending you a digital smack upside your head because your city is now Jiggy Jiggy! The only thing I can say that sucks is the set up in Music Nightclub PUT THE BAR BACK IN THE MIDDLE hahaha..
Till next time Folks
P.S Also be sure to check out my Last Rude Gal ABC’s PodCast here for the last letters!
P.P.S. I’m sure there is still tons of stuff you can complain about but at least there is more to do now.